One of my friends on facebook posted a link to another girls blog on her page the other day, and said she was a true inspiration. I clicked on it out of curiosity, to see why this girl was a true inspiration. I proceeded to bawl my eyes out. The girl had just lost her boyfriend in Afghanistan on September 2nd. She laid him to rest on September 8th. She is only 21 years old. How can life be so cruel? He was her high school sweetheart, and they were supposed to get married after he returned from his tour in Afghanistan. Now she’s never going to get that. 2 weeks ago they had their whole lives together, and now she has to move on, with a shattered heart. It gives me chills every time I think about it.
The military relationship is a unique one because of that alone. You can become a VERY young widow. And for the most part, we are all way too young to have to deal with that in our lives. The average age of the enlisted is 18-26 years old. No one should have to deal with the loss of their spouse at those ages. When you get married, you expect to live a long and fulfilling life with your spouse. But in most marriages, you’re not sending your spouse off to war. Instead, thousands of spouses have had to lay their significant other to rest at way too young of an age due to war. I have always said that in a military relationship, you love harder then those in civilian relationships, because there is always that chance that your loved one won’t return to you. It is one of the scariest things to think about. I could have easily been this girl. Nick could have very easily been killed on his 2 tours to Iraq. I told him numerous times that if he ever deployed a third time, I didn’t think he would be coming home to me. I feel so close to this girl, even though I don’t know her. The bonds between military wives/gfs/fiancĂ©es are one of the strongest you will ever see. We may not know each other personally, but we understand each other 100%. God bless this young lady, as well as her Marine whom is a hero to all of us. May he keep watch over her in Heaven, and God rest his soul.
No comments:
Post a Comment