Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I was driving home from work the other day, and the radio station I was listening to was having a poll. The poll was whether long distance relationships really work. The majority of people who called in said no, of course not. It’s hard to trust someone when they’re so far away. Communication is hard. You never get to see each other. And on and on and blah blah blah. This pissed me off. My relationship is proof that long distance relationships can and do work. I was in a long distance relationship for well over 2 years while Nick was in NC and I was still living in MA. That even spanned 7 month deployments over seas to Iraq! And we made it work. As long as you trust each other 100% and are both willing to make it work, a long distance relationship will work. You just need to want it enough.

The typical military relationship is usually a long distance relationship at some point or another. You’re apart from each other while they’re in boot camp or basic training, which is 3 months long. Then you’re apart while they’re in their MOS school which is another 3 months long. That’s at least 6 months apart. And only if you get married do you get to move to where they’re stationed. If you’re not married, usually the girlfriend stays back where they grew up. And even if you are married and live in the same place, you’re apart during training for deployments, and then during the actually deployment. Yet military relationships work. One of my best friends has spent her entire relationship away from her fiancĂ©e up until now. And they’ve made it work. Plenty of girls I have met through the military have been in this situation. I don’t know. Maybe our relationships are stronger than the typical civilian relationship. Distance is hard. It’s not for the weak. But in my opinion, it also creates a stronger bond.

And we are officially homeowners! We had our closing Thursday afternoon, and it went on record Friday morning. So, it’s official! We also didn’t have to pay any money at closing, since had asked for $5,000 from the seller. We actually got money back, since the VA Funding Fee was waived due to Nick being a disabled veteran.  We couldn’t be any happier or more excited about our purchase. I can’t wait to move in and start decorating! I already have so many ideas in my head! We bought a queen size bob-o-pedic last night as well as a couch for our living room. I ordered an electric fireplace for our living room today, and I'm about to go to Bed Beth and Beyond! It feels so good to have my own piece of property. And so adult! I’ll see how I feel on November 1st when I have to make that first mortgage payment ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment